History Camp: On the Road!
We are about halfway through summer and there are still places to go and people to see! There are many fun things that you can do not only augment all of that learning you’ve done over the past year and give a leg up for the upcoming year, but can make those long hours on the road fun. Read on for some fun things to do in the car, plane, or train whether your trip is long or short! Be sure to also check out Check out History Unboxed® coloring books. Available in both paper and e-book!
Games are a great way to pass the time on a road trip. We’ve taken some of the most common car games and put a history spin on them:
- 20 questions: Pick a person, place, or thing from history and then have your traveling companions try to figure out who/what it is by asking yes or no questions. If they don’t get it in 20 or less questions, you win!
- Categories game: One person picks a historical category, for example, people, places, battles, etc and everyone takes turns naming something in that category.
- 2 Truths and a Lie: Pick two historical truths and one lie and have everyone try and figure out which one is the lie
- Would You Rather historical edition: Pick two jobs, people, events, or scenarios and ask which one they would rather do and why.
- Word association: Pick a history related word and then everyone takes turns saying a word related to the one before. For example, Charlemagne, Joyous, Sword, Blacksmith
Podcasts are another great way to pass the time on a road trip. The first three roughly correspond with our Mayan and Explorers boxes, plus a few of our other favorite podcasts! Be sure to preview first to make sure they are appropriate for your listeners! For even more podcast suggestions, check out this post from Honest History.
- Treasure Island 2020 ( 6th-8th grade)
- The Explorers Podcast
- Mayan Crystal
- The Past & the Curious
- Bedtime History
- History Storytime
- Forever Ago
Audio CD’s from History Unboxed
- Listen to Anansi stories in Ghana Empire Unboxed
- Going West
- Listen to an audio version of Shakespeare’s play in Julius Caesar Unboxed
- Audio (downloadable file or audio CD)
Activities from our boxes