BOXES IN THIS SERIES
- Adventure in Old England with the Anglo Saxons
Embroider a section of the Bayeux Tapestry, make rune stone jewelry, and read a section of Beowulf
- Tour the Byzantine Empire
Find out how riots, poetry, and political power often hinged on two things people still feel passionate about today: sports and religion. Enjoy an in depth look at icon painting and then try your hand at designing your own.
- Enjoy the sights and flavors of the Mayan culture
Learn about sacred feathers, divine tattoos, and the invention of chewing gum.
- Discover scientific and hygienic advances in The Islamic Empire
Split white light in honor of the scientist who fist explained rainbows, grow rock candy as you learn why sweets suddenly became easier to find, and the brush your teeth the old fashioned way: with a miswak branch.
- Visit Charlemagne’s kingdom
Learn who you have to blame for school and who you have to thank for trial by jury. Follow in his footsteps by sleeping with a journal under your pillow and make a house to attract one of the most important livestock animals in Charlemagne’s empire: bees.
- Visit the Vikings and their Queen: Aud the Deep Minded
Get to know the real Vikings as you read a story about Thor and Loki, weave cord on a lucet, decorate and use a drinking horn, and play music on viking-style pan pipes.
- Visit Japan and discover the age of the Samurai
Make your own mini rock garden and learn the art of origami. Enjoy a tasty treat with a traditional flavor and compose an artful form of poetry.
- Ride with the Genghis Khan and the Mongols
Discover traditional Mongol games, enjoy felting wool, and refresh yourself with a traditional Mongolian drink.
- Enter the Forbidden City during the Ming Dynasty
Read the real Ballad of Mulan, learn about the social importance of fans, discover the origins of printing books and then print your own.
- Tour a center of art and culture in Medieval Benin
Find out how snail shells were used as currency and then make your own cowrie shell jewelry. Hear Benin folklore for an Own Voices author, learn to play the kalimba and then relax with some traditional African soap.
- Discover the Wonders of the Silk Road Try your hand at calligraphy, create a night light based on the constellations studied by Queen Seondek, Read the legend of Seondek’s wisdom and craft a paper peony in her honor
There are no reviews yet.